CFES specialized fitness leadership program modules are designed to take students through the steps in fitness instructor and personal trainer national certification.
CFES National Instructor Certification Requirements
Currently for Aquatic Fitness, Group Fitness and Weight Training Instructor (Active Aging, Yoga Instructor modules and others coming in 2013).
Each candidate is to successfully complete (80%+) on the following program steps or present an equivalent*:
1. CFES Fitness Knowledge Classroom or Home Study Course (30+ hours)*;
2. Instructor Classroom Course (24+ hours)*;
3. Practicum or Mentorship Program (8-20 hours)*;
4. National Instructor Exam (one hour, closed book, supervised, fee)*;
5. National Instructor Skills Assessment (ISA) (one on one, video or Skype; fee)*;
6. Maintain current CPR-A minimum and Emergency or Standard First Aid Certifications;
7. Maintain annual liability insurance (if required);
8. Submit to CFES: All document copies steps 1-6 above; signed Instructor Code of Honour; CFES Program Evaluation; Exam; Application Form; and certification/membership fee;
9. Receive CFES Instructor Certification (electronic or at end of classroom program).
* CFES recognizes AFLCA, BCRPA, CALA, FNB, IFC, MFC, OFC, SPRA and National YMCA Certification as current equivalency to CFES certification programs.
Note: Practicum Program Alternative Choices for Instructor: Students unable to attend a practicum program are required to work with a CFES Certified Leadership Mentor (LM) in their community at a facility offering this service. When there is no CFES Certified LM in your community, discuss and agree with your educator how you will meet CFES certification standard for this practicum experience.
When your skills and confidence to be employable are apparent it is time to book your CFES Instructor Skills Assessment with a CFES Educator, CFES Instructor or Personal Trainer Skills Assessment Evaluator [SAE] in your region.
Annual CFES National Fitness Instructor Re-Certification Requirements
1. Attend eight (8) hours CFES recognized programs (class or online)*;
2. Submit twelve (12) verified group fitness, aquafit, or weight training instructional client hours*;
3. Maintain CPR; First Aid and annual liability insurance (if required);
4. Submit to CFES: All document copies, steps 1-3 above; signed Instructor Code of Honour; CFES Program Evaluation; Application Form; and re-certification/membership fee.
5. Receive CFES Instructor Re-Certification for each designation quaiflied for (electronically).
For career advancement as a CFES national Skills Assessment Evaluator, Leadership Mentor or Educator visit the Educators web page.