The CFES Weight Training Instructor Course is a practical course designed to teach foundation leadership skills for instruction of basic weight training programs and enable candidates to become nationally certified Weight Training Instructors
CFES Weight Training Instructor Certification Program Content
In this course you will learn:
About the weight training industry, equipment usage and facilities
Exercise ideas and teaching techniques to be able to set up a program for a variety of ages, stages and special needs groups
A review of anatomy and physiology
Health screening and fitness testing
Counseling and communication skills practiced
The application of scientific training principles
Professional ethics and career direction.
The following resources are included as part of the complete CFES Weight Training Instructor certification process:7th edition CFES Weight Training Instructor Course Resource Manual
7th edition CFES Weight Training Instructor Course Program Booklet
Course completion and WT Instructor Skills Assessment forms
CFES Record of Course Completion.
Find a CFES Weight Training Instructor Course Near You
For course locations, dates and times please visit our Course Calendar.
CFES National Weight Training Instructor (WTI) Certification Requirements
Successfully complete (80% +) of the following CFES program steps or present an equivalent.*
1 CFES Fitness Knowledge Classroom or Home Study Course (30+ hours);*
2 Weight Training Instructor Classroom Course (24+ hours);*
3. Practicum Classroom Course or Mentorship Program (8-20+ hours);*
4. National Instructor Skills Assessment (in practicum or one to one)*;
5. National Instructor Exam (one hour, closed book, supervised)*;
6. Maintain current CPR-A minimum and Emergency or Standard First Aid Certifications;
7. Maintain annual liability insurance (if required);
8. Submit to CFES: All document copies steps 1-5; signed Instructor Code of Honour; CFES Program Evaluation; Application Form; Exam and Certification/Membership fee;
9. Receive CFES Instructor Certification (electronic or at end of classroom program).
* CFES recognizes BCRPA; AFLCA; SPRA; MFC; OFC; FNB; NSFA; IFC; YMCA and CALA cross transfer equivalency.
Note: Practicum Program Alternative Choices for Instructor: Students unable to attend a practicum program are required to work with a CFES Certified Leadership Mentor (LM) in their community at a facility offering this service. When there is no CFES Certified LM in your community, discuss and agree with your educator how you will meet CFES certification standard for this practicum experience.
When your skills and confidence to be employable are apparent it is time to book your CFES Instructor Skills Assessment with a CFES Educator, CFES Instructor or Personal Trainer Skills Assessment Evaluator [SAE] in your region.
CFES National Weight Training Instructor Re-Certification Requirements
1. Attend eight (8) hours CFES recognized programs* (in-class or online);
2. Submit twelve (12) verified Instructional hours per certification*;
3. Maintain CPR; First Aid and annual Liability Insurance (if insurance required);
4. Submit to CFES: All document copies, steps 1-2; Signed Instructor Professional Code of Honour; CFES Program Evaluation; Application Form and Re-Certification/Membership fee
5. Receive CFES Instructor Re-Certification (electronically).